FACES Peru Trip | Day 3

It's the end of day 3 and there have been 5 successful cases and one drop in that's actually still in the OR as I type. There are 17 scheduled cases for this week (5 have been completed) and if anyone happens to drop in then the surgeons will chat and see if they can add him in the schedule. And that's the way it goes!

I'd love for you to meet Erika...
Erika arrived with her aunt to the clinic early Sunday morning. This little 12 year old raises goats on her family farm with her father and her aunt. Because Erika's family lives out in the country the nearest school is too far away to travel and therefore attended only two years because of the distance. She spends her days helping her family raise the goats.

My heart went out for Erika. She was the second patient Sunday and was at the clinic at 10am when the first patient, Yessica, went in for surgery. Erika waited for a little over 3 hours and I'm sure the 12 year old was. I know I would be. Even as a patient back home I would wonder what takes doctors so long?!? But now I understand a little bit better how the inter workings work. In reality, in life, in the OR somethings just take time. I'm sure I'll be a little more patient next time I go in to get my check up.


Erika got to go home today as did Yessica. They both had successful surgeries.

Here's my favorite patient from today. Meet Evelyn and her mom!


Evelyn is 7 months old and has cleft lip. She arrived early this morning in her mothers arms. Here she is being carried into surgery with some of the doctors.


After about a hour and a half surgery is complete.


After surgery the patient is placed in a recovery room to be monitored while he/she wakes up. At that time the parents are invited to come in and see their child. Here is mom comforting Evelyn.


It makes me so happy to see the before and after within a few hours. It's awing. There have been 5 successful cases thus far on this trip. I'm excited to meet tomorrow's patients!

'Night.
Big Smiles, Melissa Tomeoni with Soul Mates Photo.

 

5 comments:

Brianna Phelan said...

This post really moved me. It's so beautiful to see this surgery changing lives. It's wonderful that you're documenting it :)

studio m said...

Congrats, Melissa! You're taking photos of surgery - and good ones at that! Thinking of you often.... Evelyn's little feathery eyelashes are too precious. Thank you for sharing your trip with all of us at home.

Jen said...

Only one word comes to mind - AMAZING!

Deyla Huss Photography said...

Melissa!! this is so awesome to follow your story over there! well you know I miss ya and when you get back, I want french press in a cafe with my dear friend to start the New Year!

Melanie Whitaker Photographer said...

Very cool Melissa, What a sweet little girl, I bet you fall in love every day!