Giving Back | A FACES Update

What is FACES Foundation? Well, if you've missed the last few newsletters you might be a bit outta the loop. You can visit past posts about the fundraising here and here. FACES is a nonprofit Portland, Oregon based company made up of surgeons who repair cleft lip and cleft palate abroad. As I've said before, they have asked me to join them this on their trip to Peru to document the events. You can read more about FACES on their website, www.facesfoundation.org. I am happy to announce I have completed fundraising for my trip and will be leaving on December 4th! A huge thanks and virtual hug to my supporters who made this happen. You know who you are. Please keep this trip in your thoughts and prayers as flights leave December 4th and surgeries begin December 6th.

Earlier this week I had a chance to meet with one of the founders and surgeons of FACES. Thankfully, I was able to ask him about expectations for the trip and what were the essential photographs and was happy view examples of what they are looking for. Lemme tell you this is a completely different type of photography and I'm excited to stretch my wings a bit. Of course I'm encouraged to do what I do, but pre-operation and post-operation are the most important images for the doctors to review and include in case studies upon return. It's the shape of deformity and look of repair which is needed for reference and documentation purposes. Of course I'll be photographing the events as they unfold but I just thought it was so interesting! I'm thrilled to donate my time to travel to South America, meet the people of Peru and give back this season.... Thanks again to the people who made this possible, my supporters.

Please keep the children and the FACES team in your thoughts and prayers during surgery. I hope to be updating my blog every evening from the days events. That will beginning roughly December 6th.

Just a little visual of the countryside and people...

Copyright google images and various Peru travel sites.

A big thankful smile! Melissa Tomeoni with Soul Mates Photography

 

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Melissa,
This is so great, and I'm so happy to hear that you're going to be a part of this. My sister (who has a cleft lip) just had a baby a year ago with a cleft lip. We are so fortunate to be able to afford these surgeries that, while primarily cosmetic, make a lifetime of difference. This is an area that I am very closely connected to, and I think you're doing a really great thing by getting involved. I am sure you will have a fabulous time there as well!
I would love to hear more about how you got into this.
Have a great trip!

Brianna Phelan said...

What an amazing experience to be a part of. I can't wait to hear more about it.