Parents, Succulents and MIA.

My parents were in town.... for a week. I know, right. You're thinking insert **gasp!** here. Actually, I could venture out to say it was their best trip here. My parents still live in my home town in SoCal and every time they come up I pray for perfect weather. I want them to know Portland has summers too! The last time they were up was last Christmas... and boy did I feel bad for them. They got caught in all that delayed/canceled flight nonsense as well as all the snow. I loved the show but I didn't have to travel in it. Either way this past week was parents week... the reviews are out: FUN FUN FUN.

When my parents officially booked their tickets to come visit I commissioned my garden-artist mom to help me with the front yard. If you've been to my place you know it needs saving and my mom is just the one for the job. By the time they got here it was prepped– retaining wall installed, fill dirt with compost mixed in and so on. Pictures of the front yard layout were sent to mom before she arrived so planning could take place. My requirements? Something I can keep alive, something that comes back every year and something I don't have to trim all the time. When it comes to gardening I'm a low-maintenance kinda gal. In other areas of life, not so much.

Buy plants, drive home and plant. I'm thinking this couldn't take more than a few hours. My parents informed me they didn't want to spend more than a day doing yard work. My thoughts, "I don't want to spend more then a few hours doing yard work, ever." Buy some plants and plant. Right?? Riiiiight. Needless to say it was a good day. We made a few trips, bought plants and pots and even spent money on rocks. I know, rocks. I think it was totally worth it. And don't worry we had fun too. Wait till you come over and see the improvement. Hopefully the next heatwave doesn't kill anymore plants! Sometimes they are just so delicate :)

All in all I'm back at the computer now. I dropped my parents off at the Airport, got a fresh pedi (gardening does nothing for your nails) and now I'm ready for action. I'll be steaming through my emails today, so If you haven't heard from me in a while. Get ready. I'm no longer MIA.

Mom and Dad- thanks for visiting! You guys are the best. I had so much fun berry picking, playing at the coast, eating our weight in ice cream, sun bathing at the pool in Bend, BBQing, moving watching, paddle balling, walking, laughing, racquetball playing, and gardening then I could have thought. Thanks for everything. You are the best parents. Miss you already.

Here's just a small photo of something I can keep alive, something that comes back every year and something I don't have to trim all the time– succulents!


Big Smlies! Melissa Tomeoni with Soul Mates Photography.

 

2 comments:

Zoey said...

More pics wanted! Do you have "before" and "after" pics?!

Melissa with Soul Mates Photography said...

oh dear! I burned those before pics... hehe. you are too funny zoey! i hope all is well :)