Textures-- Photography Tip



As some of you may already know I'm always looking for new and unique items to incorporate into my work and have decided to give texture layers a whirl. I realize textures are not for every photo, but it's fun to incorporate them into a few of the session.

For Photographers:
Photograph or scan textures you find in the everyday. Convert them into a hi-res file via Photoshop. Open and drag your texture layer over your final image. Take time to adjust opacity, layer type and fill. Often adjusting the contrast with make it "pop". I would recommend painting out the texture over skin tones because I like texture on clothes, background better than over the face. It's important to retain smooth skin.

Let me know that you think... I would love to see what other photographers come up with... make sure you share yours with me.

Above Left: River pouring into the Detroit Lake, OR with old book texture
Above Right: Waitress in Old Town San Diego, CA with map texture
Below Left: Client on Alberta Street with damask texture.
Below Right: Me at a farmers market in Carpenderia, CA with damask texture.




Below: Sleeping client with canvas texture.


Thanks for visiting! Melissa Tomeoni with Soul Mates Photography.
If you try this let me know. Email me or link a post to your image!

 

2 comments:

Winnie said...

oh....I love that you're experimenting with adding more depth to your pictures. Very nice!

Lisa said...

That is the coolest! I like them all but I think my favorite is the waitress. I'm going to give it a shot soon, I'll let you know if I have anything successful to look at.

Thanks for the tips!